baslinux - Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 01:09:11 +0000 (UTC)

if you load the SBlives soundfont (the one included with the lives
driver) the awe will sound just as good as most GM/GS keyboards....
the files name is 'ct2mgm.sf2' and is around 2.1MB...

Do I need to register to download it from the sf2midi site? I could not find it elsewhere. I could not find the sblive driver (for Windows?) and my cards came without any software.

I have tried loading various sbk and sf2 soundfonts and can't hear any difference between:

synthgs.sbk (72K) from Creative's package for AWE32, I think.
synthgm.sf2 (600K)
gm35revc.sf2 (3.5M)

I tried playing piano, harpsichord, and cello among other things.
The last of these just takes longer to load. Only the first will fit into an AWE64 card (512K). The AWE32 and SB32 let me add 2 SIMMs (2x4MB) to the onboard RAM (1MB?).

There was one site with lots of very large sound banks (10MB-100MB or so), just piano, or just strings or winds.

There was a discussion about the relative qualities of various drivers for SBlive, and various soundbanks of different sizes - an 8MB soundbank sounded worse than an older smaller one to someone.

Do you know how to specify which instrument is used by a track in Rosegarden?