baslinux - Re: [BL] Playing and recording external midi without X

  • From: "Samual Acorn" <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Playing and recording external midi without X
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:40:57 -0500

there is no midish-bl2.tgz on that site...

On 27/06/06, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

>>> cat /proc/sound? No such device or filename.
>>> Was I supposed to load rosegarden first?
>>
>> No. Just activate sound (insmod sound, etc.)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steven
>
> This time it worked (kernel 2.2.16 - I had been using 2.4.31 and sb_lib)

With kernel 2.4.31 I still get 'no such device or filename' for both.

> cat /proc/sound or cat /dev/sndstat:

> Samuel, could you take a look at the midish package at my site? It is
> supposed to record from command line. http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl

midish-bl2.tgz

It was very easy to compile (except rmidish front-end did not compile).

Midish comes with smfplay and smfrecord, which are simple scripts that do
some basic jobs. Use the full midish for fancier things.

smfplay -x -d mididevice filename.mid should play to external device.

The man page for midish says the device is /dev/rmidiN

I can mknod /dev/rmidi c 35 64

(or make rmidi0 and link rmidi to it) but how do I link /dev/rmidi to my
actual midi device, i. e., what is my actual midi device (/dev/? ).

-d /dev/sequencer or /dev/midi00 do not work.

I found an 'rmidi' midi player for ALSA. Do I need ALSA to use midish?

Could one write a simple script to send input from the external midi
device to a file, then stop sending when you hit Ctrl-C?

if you know the calls to write to /dev/sequencer to put it in the
right mode then know how to convert the raw uart data to a midi file
then im sure a script like that could be made....

This should not be much harder than double-sided printing or playing
streaming audio with mpg123.

never done doublesided printing (i always buy cheap paper that the ink
goes through to the other side anyway) but its not going to be as easy
as playing a file with mpg123........