baslinux - Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] /dev/sequencer and external midi problem Re: ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 00:55:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
You have the same card I do (awe32) and Rosegarden works for you and
playmidi does not, and David has a non-awe card and playmidi works
for him and Rosegarden does not.

I did not test playback with Rosegarden since playmidi worked. What I
did test was recording; that did not work, but I suspect that the
record port on my keyboard may be broken.

David

I was able to both record and play with rosegarden.
Click on Sequencer, then File, Open, and below you see everything greyed out on the buttons except a square indicating STOP.

Play (any number of notes at a time) and it records to one generic 'track'. Once I learn to specify the instrument for each track, I can record recorder/harpsichord sonatas on piano and play back via AWE.

After hitting STOP to stop recording, I then hit the little triangle and it PLAYED what I had recorded. File - Save As let me specify where to save and what to save it as. I could then File-Play the file of that name with Rosegarden but it sounded staccato and tinny.

I had to exit Rosegarden to free up /dev/sequencer in order to play with Playmidi, which sounds much better. There is a Play with Slave option in Rosegarden, set to xplaymidi by default, but I did not get it working.

I should be able to record on piano and play this back as harpsichord (-4 -p1,7).

There is a way to adjust the duration of notes.
I forget what a hemisemiquaver is - 16th note?

Rosegarden notation editor complains I don't have fonts installed.

Rosegarden requires libc6, libSM, libICE, libXaw, libXext libXmu libXt libX11. It is a 1999 version so ought to work with BL3 X libraries.

The windows are too wide for my 800x600 screen. Next I need to get XKeyboard and xaccess working to get rid of the mouse. Nothing works from the keyboard except for typing file names.

Thanks for all the help.