baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 00:41:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Since the SW71 S3 server works in BL2 with Opera, I tried it in BL3 and it
has the identical problem to the BL3 (SW40) S3 and SVGA servers - the
opening screen of Opera and many others are black on black. So the
problem is somewhere else in BL3.

Are the kernels the same in BL3 and BL2? What about rgb.txt?

I will check BL3 with several kernels. The rxvt works fine, it is Opera that has color problems - is Opera using rgb.txt? The Matrox card also works fine with Opera with the same rgb.txt. The same XF86Config works properly in BL2.

I will set up a larger BL3.40 partition somewhere and try to learn to
compile X servers on it unless someone else wants to do that.

I recommend that you get the source code from Slackware (/source/x/
directory) if you haven't already downloaded it. Source code from
Slackware 3.x or 4.0 is much more likely to work on libc5 than

It does not appear to be the X servers that are the problem - maybe libX11 or another X library? SW71 S3 server worked as badly as the SW40 one in BL3.40.

something from the XFree86 site. XFree86 has its own build system -
you may find its documentation helpful:

http://xfree86.org/3.3.6/BUILD1.html#3

(start reading at section 1.2 after you've downloaded and unpacked the source)

I was going to try libX11 source code from SW71, compiled for libc5.

First I need to set up a different drive with more than 100MB for BL3.40, since I have come close to filling it without even compiling (one large pdf file expanded to ppm ran out of space).

Could someone else with an S3 or Trident card please confirm the problem -
Opera start screen black on black with SVGA server and either card (or S3 server and S3 card) in BL3.40. I tried two computers and several cards and I will try my 2.4.31 kernel in BL3 (it works with S3 server in BL2).

Try building with the default configuration; then, if the build fails,
look at the compiling error log, which should give a hint at which
configuration setting needs to be changed to successfully build
XFree86.

unless someone else wants to do that.

XFree86 is not fun to compile. It has several dependencies, (although
they should be easy to get from SW40) its own unique build system, and
it is one gigantic package which takes a long time to build unless you
have a modern PC.

This sounds too hard for me at present.

Could I simply substitute the libX11 from SW71 and start X and Opera somehow without xinit or rxvt, to see if that helps? I have instructions for Xvesa and maybe I can substitute the S3 server instead, after temporarily replacing libX11 from SW40 with the one from SW71.
Or someone else can try it after confirming the problem.

David