baslinux - Re: [BL] 8MB camera linux working - view and edit photos

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 8MB camera linux working - view and edit photos
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:56:12 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, David Moberg wrote:

You ran out of loop devices. Did you umount the -o loop mounts?
umount is supposed to free the loop device for the next use, but
it won't if it is sufficiently confused by the chroot.

The loop module ordinarily supports 8 loop devices - mknod
loop6 and loop7 (from implied major and minor numbers of the
previous 5 or 6) if you don't have them. loop.o accepts the
max_loop argument to increase the number of total loop
devices when you insert it.

kill -9 number does not work.

The loops are still in use. Try busybox umount or figure out how
to get SW umount to realize that it is supposed to free the loop
devices when it is done with them. rmmod loop when they are
free to kill loop.

I had this same problem of running out of loop devices on a much newer Linux distro. That resulted from using qemu alot. Somehow, the loop devices weren't being freed up after quitting qemu or umounting other loop devices manually. I added a line to a startup script that gave me 64 extra loop devices, which helped. But I have still run out of loop devices subsequently, and have had to reboot in order to use qemu. It looks like sort of buggy behavior, doesn't it?

James