baslinux - Re: [BL] no XVESA or svgalib - DOS/linux video problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] no XVESA or svgalib - DOS/linux video problem
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:35:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

He has been thinking about compiling his own linux so I referred him to
linux from scratch. I don't think his hard drive is big enough and he got
the impression it required kernel 2.6. LSF says it can take a few days to
compile glibc on an older computer - is a 233MHz 'older'? I expect to see
him here at the list with specific questions about BL pretty soon when he
gets done experimenting with other distributions and compiling from
scratch, but first I still need to give him a Debian and a SuSE.

He seems mainly interested in the process of putting together linux and
compiling things, and networking (we finally got one crossover cable made
correctly so he can try that next) and has not even used X yet (though he
may need it for Abiword and to access webmail with popups).

Sounds like a good candidate for Gentoo. You should definitely tell him
about it. LFS and Gentoo are the two best distros for these types. But
with an older machine such as he has, _alot_ of patience will be required
to do all the compiling. If the hardware is good, he could do a stage 1
Gentoo install that would have most of the amenities in about a week.
Depending on how much sleep he needs, it might take a little less than a
week :) A stage 3 install (uses more precompiled components) could be done
in 2 or 3 days on such a system.

I will suggest he look at Gentoo once he gets set up at school with broadband. He only tried things we had on CD. The newer distros are too big to download via modem because they support newer hardware - is it possible to download an older version of Gentoo and compile like this?

James