baslinux - Re: [BL] no XVESA or svgalib - DOS/linux video problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] no XVESA or svgalib - DOS/linux video problem
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:51:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 15:41:39 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

I have an S3 Trio3D AGP video card (4MB RAM, VESA 2.0) which worked fine
in another computer. This computer has PCI ethernet and scsi cards, ISA
modem and ISA/pnp sound (Awe64) and a jumpered ISA I/O card to replace the
bad floppy controller and bad primary IDE controller (the master part was
okay, the slave intermittent). It is 533MHz and sometimes freezes up when
I try to go into CMOS setup.
<snipped>

Compushow gives a runtime error 200

This last is because Compushow has that Pascal bug that cannot cope with a
faster computer.
Compushow does not run on my Duron 600 but is still OK on me AMD K3 450.

Regards,
Ron

I have a little DOS database program which is written in Pascal, called EDB (Easy DataBase) and it produced a runtime error 200 at 0673:0091!

I think there is a patch for this somewhere. Or you can run the program with Mo'Slo, which we needed for ProComm or Procomm Plus (Pcplus) and a a DOS scrabble game.

Pcplus gives run-time error R6003 - integer divide by 0 - is this also written in Pascal?

Now nothing works on that computer, even warm rebooting.

Time to switch to a different database program. I have shareware cdbf for DOS, Win9x and Linux, which I was not using because it would not work on Cyrix Pentium-I-type cpus. It imports standard format, which I managed to create by using a DOS column-based text editor on my edb file. Which small linux text editor will edit columns (i. e., let you insert one column of commas)?

My young friend for whom we made a linux computer has come to the conclusion, after shrinking the linux partition so he could have four 500MB partitions to play in (and losing BL2 in the process, and BL3 somehow or other later, but he is learning to put them back), tried installing SW3.2 (scratched disk), SW7.1, SW8.1, Mandrake (it needed to be installed as 'lowvga' because it only likes newer hardware - it crashed our computer badly) and Caldera 2.3, said Slackware is by far the best if you want to make your own decisions (but this older Caldera would fit into 160MB if you did not want to compile). He was using Redhat 6.2 previously and kept having to delete things from the 800MB disk.

He has been thinking about compiling his own linux so I referred him to linux from scratch. I don't think his hard drive is big enough and he got the impression it required kernel 2.6. LSF says it can take a few days to compile glibc on an older computer - is a 233MHz 'older'? I expect to see him here at the list with specific questions about BL pretty soon when he gets done experimenting with other distributions and compiling from scratch, but first I still need to give him a Debian and a SuSE.

He seems mainly interested in the process of putting together linux and compiling things, and networking (we finally got one crossover cable made correctly so he can try that next) and has not even used X yet (though he may need it for Abiword and to access webmail with popups).

The college does not require Windows or Mac to connect to their network, it just won't 'support' anything else. He is hoping to convert other students to linux.

Compushow works on our AMD K6 475MHz and on Ron's 450MHz but not on our 533MHz or his 600MHz. What is the exact speed where it cocks out?