baslinux - Re: [BL] no XVESA or svgalib - DOS/linux video problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] no XVESA or svgalib - DOS/linux video problem
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:47:07 +0000 (UTC)

BL2 loadlin Xvesa and svgalib did not work on this computer - Illegal instruction - unless I first actually displayed an image with a viewer in DOS such as display, pictview, qv or sea3. BL2 Xvesa is from Delilinux.

I have not been able to reproduce the Xvesa/svgalib problem again in linux, in BL3 (2-floppy or ext2) or BL2, with Steven's or Delilinux Xvesa.
It is very predictable in DOS (greyscale until I display an image with one of four viewers).

I seem to have an intermittent video problem - maybe it cured itself in linux? (But not in DOS). This is the computer with bad onboard floppy controller and intermittently bad onboard primary slave controller (master is fine all the time).

So I suspect something in the motherboard, not the video card, is slowly going bad. Maybe someone will give us another 500MHz computer soon, now that freshmen are supposed to have at least 1 GHz for writing homework.

Does anyone know what part of the hardware on the motherboard is used with video?