baslinux - [BL] Parallel Port Modem

  • From: "Joel" <AspenDr AT telus.net>
  • To: "Basic Linux Mailling List" <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Parallel Port Modem
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:43:56 -0700

Hi

I've come back to basic linux after realising there is life beyond broadband. I'm going to try BL3 out with a modem.

Currently, I have a US Robotics Sportster 33.6 Faxmodem with a 486 laptop. It has a parallel port connection. (the modem that is) but once I connect it up to BL3, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to configure it. I've heard of other people configuring other US Robotics modems, which, (I believe) are all parallel interface.

When I configure it as /dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1 it doesn't work at all. Is there anyway of finding where the port might be located?

I've heard a trick of catting a file to ports, but I am unaware of the details.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

-Joel
"A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it." Einstein