baslinux - Re: [BL] Parallel Port Modem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Basic Linux Mailling List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Parallel Port Modem
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 01:23:11 +0000 (UTC)

My USR Sportster external modems all have 25-pin D-shell connections that are not parallel port but the older variety of serial port. You need
a cable with 25-pin to plug into the modem, and 9-pin to plug into a serial port (unless you have a 25-pin serial port, which computers used to have along with a 9-pin).

Only 9 (or maybe less) of the 25 pins are used by the modem so a cable with less than 25 pins in the same size shell will also work if wired correctly.

A 25-to-9 pin adaptor plugged into the modem will let you use 9-pin to 9-pin cable.

ttyS0 would be com1 in this case.