baslinux - Re: [BL] dietlibc binaries for basiclinux

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dietlibc binaries for basiclinux
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:41:24 +1200

David Moberg wrote:

> I believe the Xvesa from BL3 is statically compiled,

So is the BL3 busybox. The foundation of BL3 is static.
You can completely delete the contents of /lib and it
will still boot.

> If you take that bash,

The BL3 ash is in busybox so that's already there.
The difference between bash1 and busybox ash is
*very* small. For example, Castlemaze (a complex
bash1 script) required only minor adjustment to
run on ash. The biggest issue was that bash input
(read) defaults to $REPLY; ash doesn't. So I had
to go through Castlemaze and specify $REPLY as the
input variable. No big deal. In fact, it was
loose programming in the first place to leave out
the input variable in bash.

> maybe compile a small window manager

It would be hard to find a smaller wm than swm
(the one that comes with BL3). Although personally
I think icewm is worth the extra space.

> Isn't BL4 "reserved" for uClibc, though?

Not necessarily. There are still some question
marks around uClibc.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru