baslinux - Re: [BL] FreeDOS works with Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FreeDOS works with Xvesa
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:30:15 +0000 (UTC)

FreeDOS will not boot at all on one of our computers, a pentium with Intel 166MHz cpu. Linux works fine there except that one of my 84-key keyboards does not work with linux on there - the computer works with DOS, and the keyboard works in linux on another computer made the same year (1997). Has anyone else had either of these problems?

You probably cannot switch from DR-DOS to FreeDOS and preserve the files on the partition you are re-sysing. We will probably copy them between partitions, delete and remake the partition, reformat with FreeDOS, then copy back the files. Has anyone tried this approach?

You can switch from MS-DOS to FreeDOS and preserve the files. If you boot with MS-DOS floppy boot disk to a DR-DOS-formatted computer, the first partition disappears and the others contain gibberish file names. A 200MB drive will have one 3G gibberish file on it. Why?

I don't recall if FreeDOS acts the same way with DR-DOS. The computer we we set up to check such things won't work with FreeDOS. Should I report this as a bug?