baslinux - Re: [BL] How do you set eth0 for a block of IPs?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How do you set eth0 for a block of IPs?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:15:29 +1300

Carl Reaburn wrote:

> I have found BL3 has things in different places to
> what the how-to pages suggest.
> BL1 by comparison had everything named the same as the
> how-to pages suggested, as well as great documentation
> inside the config files themselves.

BL1 was designed to be used as a firewall. Few people
used that capability, so it was removed in BL2. As far
as things being in different places, BL3 uses one startup
file (/etc/rc) while most systems have a bunch of startup
files in a separate directory ( /etc/rc.d/ or similar).
Just stick your firewall commands in /etc/rc.

Another difference between BL1 and BL3 is: the 2.0 kernel
(BL1) uses ipfwadm and the 2.2 kernel (BL2,BL3) uses ipchains.
So the config commands are different.

> I had no trouble setting up BL1 without any help.
> I thought BL3 would be the same,

The ipchains-HOWTO has a table of differences so you should
be able to translate your working config from BL1.

> I hope you don't think me a fool.

Anybody who can successfully run a firewall on BL1 is
definitely not a fool.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru