baslinux - [BL] FreeDOS works with Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] FreeDOS works with Xvesa
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:57:28 +0000 (UTC)

We got the latest emm386 (Feb. 20, revised since Feb. 7, revisions as uch as weekly for a while before that) and himem.sys and they both appear to work with Xvesa. There used to be some complex way of using emm386. Also the FreeDOS defrag now works, tho it is glacially slow on a 486 (worse by far than Win98 defrag).

The FreeDOS fdisk lets you make four primary partitions instead of just one as with MS DOS 7.10.

My partner put Win98 in the first partition and DOS in the second. He set the second active (bootable) which makes it C:, and put FreeDOS on it. On the odd occasions when we need to read a WORD file with the MS viewer, or run a modem upgrade or make a disk utility that require Win32 to run, type fdisk and set the first partition active again (the rest of the time it is D: though second).

We defrag the Windows partition with Windows and the FreeDOS partition with FreeDOS defrag. A previous version of FreeDOS defrag completely scrambled the DOS partition files but it seems okay now.

The problem is that if you have batch files or autoexec.bat pointing at C: or D: you have to remember that they switch if you go into Windows (make the Windows partition bootable). Put Win98 on the second partition and it is D: when you make the first (DOS) partition active.

FreeDOS used to number the partitions funny - what is it doing now?

Can anyone else confirm the above?