baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Baslinux install on HD

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: Basic Linux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Baslinux install on HD
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:34:46 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, dick allen wrote:

> Silly me. Used the <install-to-hd> command easily once I put the <-to-hd>
> on end, previously I had only tried <install> thinking it was a shell
> command, but I suppose it is a piece of scrip or something but in the PATH
> somewhere. Had looked for it unsuccessfully.

The easy way to handle this in Linux is to type the first 2 or 3 letters
of the name you think the command should have, then press the tab key.
Bash autocompletes, filling in the rest of the text for you. If there is
more than 1 command with those first 3 letters, you get a console beep and
if you persist hitting the tab key, you'll presented with a list of the
commands starting in those letters onscreen. Then, you can enter more
letters before hitting the tab key to get the right command, or enter the
entire text for the command. In your case, entering

--------------
ins <tab key>
--------------

would probably have gotten you the install-to-hd script you were seeking.

> old PC (32MB)). But before I went down that road I tried booting straight
> into hdb as the BIOS could be set to that. Lilo would not seem to install
> on hdb, what ever I tried, as not first disk. Spent some time trying
> different things there.

You have to pass options to lilo on the command line for it to install
somewhere other than the current partition. Something like

lilo -v -b /dev/hdb

Search the archive to be certain how to pass those options, or consult a
manpage. I know I posted on it recently, but creeping senility does not
allow me to remember many particulars of posts from 2 or 3 months
ago--especially when it was sort of an experimental venture and not
something I use day-to-day.

James