baslinux - [BL] Re: Baslinux install on HD

  • From: dick allen <dick AT bea4allen.waitrose.com>
  • To: Basic Linux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Re: Baslinux install on HD
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:31:51 +0000

Installing BasicLinux to harddisk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Steven for amazingly quick response and Christopher also.

Silly me. Used the <install-to-hd> command easily once I put the <-to-hd>
on end, previously I had only tried <install> thinking it was a shell
command, but I suppose it is a piece of scrip or something but in the PATH
somewhere. Had looked for it unsuccessfully.

All working fine now and an option in the SUSE Grub startup screen, as Steven
suggested. Bit of a guess as to what to put in the Grub configuration
which I did from the Ncurses mode Yast (as not enough memory for GUI on this
old PC (32MB)). But before I went down that road I tried booting straight
into hdb as the BIOS could be set to that. Lilo would not seem to install
on hdb, what ever I tried, as not first disk. Spent some time trying
different things there.

Incase anyone finds useful:- from Yast I cloned the default but replaced
initrd line. So machine now has minimal SUSE on hda (4GB) and BL3 on hdb1
(400+Mb). Have partitioned hdb2 as swap of about 70MB and from Christophers
comments I should be able to get BL3 to use swap: my next learning task.

Cheers
Dick