baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Baslinux install on HD

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Basic Linux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Baslinux install on HD
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:15:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, dick allen wrote:

Silly me. Used the <install-to-hd> command easily once I put the <-to-hd>
on end, previously I had only tried <install> thinking it was a shell
command, but I suppose it is a piece of scrip or something but in the PATH
somewhere. Had looked for it unsuccessfully.

The easy way to handle this in Linux is to type the first 2 or 3 letters
of the name you think the command should have, then press the tab key.
Bash autocompletes, filling in the rest of the text for you. If there is

BL3 does not have bash, it has sh (ash?) which also works this way.
In BL2 I was able to type Moz* and get Mozilla but this does not seem to be possible in BL3.

ins <tab> gives insmod

more than 1 command with those first 3 letters, you get a console beep and
if you persist hitting the tab key, you'll presented with a list of the

BL3 sh (ash) does not give you a list after the beep when you type i <tab>

commands starting in those letters onscreen. Then, you can enter more
letters before hitting the tab key to get the right command, or enter the
entire text for the command. In your case, entering

ins <tab key>

would probably have gotten you the install-to-hd script you were seeking.
nope, insmod

Thanks, I just learned a lot. Sindi

James