baslinux - Re: [BL] Baslinux install on HD

  • From: Mr Christopher Rose <mrchrisrose AT yahoo.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Baslinux install on HD
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:01:11 -0800 (PST)

As somebody that has installed basiclinux 3 onto hda
from the floppy, I can tell you that it is quite
simple, so simple I actually got confused. The kicker
is to remember that the fdisk command DOES work in
BL3. Indeed, several versions of Linux use either
fdisk or sometimes even cfdisk. I used cfdisk from the
CD when I installed my Red Hat Linux 9.0 system. The
thing to watch out for is how large you want your
primary BL3 partition to be in relation to your swap
drive. I use BL3 on a Toshiba WinBook XP with a 500MB
hard drive. I configured it for 100MB of swap space,
as I figured that 400MB should be more than enough for
a primary partition. Of course you should also
consider what you are using basic linux for. If you
want to run an application heavy system, then you
might need more disk space for your primary partition.
I have set my system up for basic word and spreadsheet
applications and I am trying to get the so-called
internal modem to work so that I might also do some
low speed internet work (mostly e-mail). Beyond that,
I can use my Red Hat machine.

Pax,

Christopher