baslinux - [BL] ghostscript 8.50

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ghostscript 8.50
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:15:34 +0000 (UTC)

I have compiled ghostscript, latest version, which does pdf 1.5 and JBIG2 compression, with a lot of help from Doug Kaufman, in particular he explained how to edit a file to not include another file that was causing problems (stdbool.h from gcc 2.95.3). I was unable to get it to compile for any display other than X (lvga256 or vgalib gave me error messages). I omitted the fax devices and bmp and pcx but added the dot-matrix printer devices epson and oki. I also omitted some other newer-looking printer devices but left uniprint and rjink.

I compiled using gcc 2.95.3, binutils, and make from SW81, also glibc 2.2.5, so that you will need an upgraded library to use it (same library you need for Opera or xpdf or the latest kermit unless they have gone to 2.3.1).

If anyone is interested I can post it or send it to James to post at his site once I have tested it a bit and packaged it.

I can list the devices I included and if someone wants another one, recompile. (It is only the final step that needs to be redone now - the make, after editing Makefile).

Both xpdf and gs were able to read my test .pdf with JBIG2.
When I converted the pdf to ps with pdf2ps from xpdf the resulting ps was not readable by gs or bmv. When I tried to convert with gs I got an error message.