baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8 - report
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 03:47:56 +0000 (UTC)

I was getting similar messages trying to install Realplayer 8 in BL2 and it turns out I needed one more library file having to do with keysym
tables for the X keyboard, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB, which is in one of the packages used to install regular X to BL2 but is not needed for Xvesa so was missing when I set up Bl2 with XVESA and installed only the minimal required libraries. (I still don't have RP8 working - missing something else).

Look in xlib.tgz or maybe xbin.tgz first. Or in MANIFEST.gz.

The path may be symlinked - this X11R6 and X11 stuff is convoluted.

You can probably copy it over from SW40, however you are copying things to that computer. Have you a serial transfer cable? You just cross two wires (1 and 2 or 2 and 3) in a modem cable to make nullmodem. Then use Steven's send/receive scripts after insmoding slhc and ppp and setting up with pppd at both ends. (I can look up my notes if you want). I don't think I needed any servers for this.

I am impressed with your progress so far.

Regarding dosemu and WP51.

The keyboard problem in which A S and also ^ do not work is a known bug fixed in the latest version which is not posted yet as a binary. To patch the current binary you are supposed to change $_layout="auto" to "us" in dosemu.conf. I did not have a dosemu.conf so made one but that did not help, nor did changing dosemurc.

The big problem is how to use the Alt-F keys in WP51 because they switch terminals. Can I set up vc 11-14 in inittab instead of 1-4 and use chvt 11 or can't I skip vts?

The lack of an underline on TTL monitor can be somewhat compensated for if I get Alt-F3 (reveal codes) working so I can at least see where I put the tags for underlines. Possibly nobody else is using WP51 under dosemu on TTL monitor.

We have not tried graphical dosemu yet because it requires regular X. We will try it in Slackware after setting up X on a card that worked in BL2 and X as I think I can just copy over the config file.