baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:51:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Yes. WP8 is very big, but not that big. IIRC it takes
less than 100mb.

That is absurdly large. I was running WP4.1 from a floppy disk, and 5.1 from two floppy disks (the second for the spellchecker). And I did not even use half of the features.

I should first try installing it on the full Slack 4.0 test
system I set up?

That's probably a good idea.

Would that gain me anything in trying to install it
under BL3?

It will be easier to install on a real Slackware. Once
you see how that goes, you will be in a better position
to identify where it goes wrong in BL3.

Since ext2 BL2 already has full versions of most of the busybox utilities, could one add the SW71 libc5 package to it and then install WP8, which requires libc5? Or even make symlinks to libc6 from libc5 library names?
Can one ldd wp8? Are there any reasons other than libc5 why wp8 needs the older linux?

I read that WP5.1 can be used in dosemu. I have worked on large documents with it in plain DOS and never had any speed problems. It runs in (MGA or VGA) text mode, and can use graphics to preview the final appearance (I don't bother). Dosemu can be used with X, don't know about Xvesa so BL1 might be better than BL3.