baslinux - [BL] Xvesa - XKEYBOARD - XFree86

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Xvesa - XKEYBOARD - XFree86
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:00:06 -0500 (EST)

I compiled a little program that can be used to set mousekeys (use the
number pad arrow keys to move the pointer). (I needed to switch to the
computer where runtime and compiler libraries match version numbers).

It gave an error message about the Xserver being incompatible with Xvesa,
which apparently does not support xkeyboard extension. It did work with
Xsvga (part of it, sticky keys but not mouse keys yet).

The author of the program suggests using XFree86 4.02 because 3.36 and
4.0.1 are buggy - the mouse acceleration is not correct (it is very
jerky). He says it is much easier to set up 4 than 3. XFree86 -configure
detects and sets all the video chip and monitor information for you.

Xvesa is of course also easy to set up but does not do 256 color or
xkeyboard.

Has anyone tried version 4.02 and where do we find it for SW71?
Would this require reinstalling all the packages related to X?