baslinux - Re: [BL] modem share with windows and linux

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] modem share with windows and linux
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:00:05 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Matrix Mole wrote:
> >
> > Because I have a winmodem, I can't use my linux box as my
> > connection to the internet. For this reason, I've got to
> > surf from windows. I would like to be capable of using my
> > linux machine to access the internet though.
>
> So, you need to configure Windows to route TCP/IP traffic
> from the Linux machine to the internet.
>
> > I wouldl ike to be capable of using ftp and telnet from
> > linux to the internet.
>
> I know how to do this with a Linux machine as the router,
> but I haven't a clue how to do it in Windows (or even whether
> it is possible in Windows).

It depends alot on what sort of Window$ he's using. If it's 98SE or
later, he can use ICS (internet connection sharing), a native Win
networking component. I'm assuming he's got working ethernet connections
between machines already. If so, he'll just need to set up ICS (according
to directions that can be easily found on the web). With 98SE, setting up
things could be a bit more challenging. If he's running 2K or XP, in
which ICS has been better plugnplay'ified and wizardized it's quite
simple. I've done a bit of this - just set up someone's XP box with 2
NIC's in it to act as gateway/router for 2 other Win machines in their
home. Dial on demand is every bit as flaky under Win as it is under
Linux, I was pleased to discover. So I could give at least some pointers,
though it's probably better done offlist, since it fairly far removed form
BL stuff.

> Have you tried using links? It can use a proxy server (ESC-S-N).
> Links does ftp downloads and (I believe) it can be used to start
> a telnet session.

I've used Links precisely in a situation where I was on a Win network and
needed to use a proxy, so I can confirm that it works. ftp and telnet are
quite other matters, though

James