baslinux - Re: [BL] modem share with windows and linux

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] modem share with windows and linux
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:27:37 +1200

Matrix Mole wrote:

> Because I have a winmodem, I can't use my linux box as my
> connection to the internet. For this reason, I've got to
> surf from windows. I would like to be capable of using my
> linux machine to access the internet though.

So, you need to configure Windows to route TCP/IP traffic
from the Linux machine to the internet.

> I wouldl ike to be capable of using ftp and telnet from
> linux to the internet.

I know how to do this with a Linux machine as the router,
but I haven't a clue how to do it in Windows (or even whether
it is possible in Windows).

> Since I only have the command line version of these programs
> in linux, I can't configure them to route through a proxy
> server.

Have you tried using links? It can use a proxy server (ESC-S-N).
Links does ftp downloads and (I believe) it can be used to start
a telnet session.

> Is there any other method of performing modem sharing without
> having to configure programs to filter trhough a proxy server?

There certainly is when you use Linux as the router, but with
Windows, who knows?