baslinux - Re: [BL] rpm2tgz and busybox 'find'

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: keesan2 AT cyberspace.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] rpm2tgz and busybox 'find'
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 07:26:03 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I have installed rpm.tgz, which includes rpm2tgz
> (used to convert rpm to tgz files) and rpm
> (used with switch -i to install rpm files).
> Neither seems to work.

I've never had any success converting rpm packages.
I don't bother trying any more.

> rpm2tgz antiword.tgz gives me the message:

There is no need to use the rpm for antiword -- a
version that works on BL2 is available at one of
the download sites listed on "Where to get add-ons
for BasicLinux".

> Busybox ................. multi-call binary
> Usage: find [PATH...] [EXPRESSION]

Apparently rpm2tgz calls find.

> Is it possible that rpm2tgz and rpm need a
> larger version of find?

That is a reasonable conclusion. It might use a
parameter not available in the busybox version.
If rpm2tgz is a script, you could search through
it for find and see what parameters it uses.

> There is a separate find.tgz in SW7, would I need
> the whole package or just the one small find file?

I usually recommend installing complete packages
(using installpkg or pkgtool).

> I vaguely recall some problem in an earlier BL2 due
> to an inadequate command in busybox.

Busybox is small and it works well. But, it provides
only the most common options. Once you install BL2
to HD and start adding on, it is inevitable that you
will run into an option not available in busybox or
into a capability not available in the default BL2.
This is rememdied by installing the appropriate
package (or two) from Slackware.

> I would appreciate responses sent to both the list and
> to me since I don't seem to have rejoined it yet. I
> signed up but did not hear back from them with a password
> and am not getting list mail.

You should try again. If you still have problems, send me
the address you are trying to subscribe under and I will
check it from this end.