baslinux - Re: [BL] CD-RW SCSI emulation

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CD-RW SCSI emulation
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:36:58

Hi Steven,

with your help I managed access to the CD-RW - fortunately without
lilo or other major system changes.

On 30 Nov 03 at 17:50, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

>> I have a rather new CDRW drive connected to IDE.
>> insmod ide-cd
>> insmod ide-scsi
>> insmod scsi_mod
>> insmod sg
>> insmod sr_mod
>> insmod loop

Here I made a fatal mistake: 'insmod ide-scsi' has to be the last
line. The various scsi-drivers have to be loaded before the
emulation is started.

>> The device file name representing your CD-Writer has to
>> be passed to the driver in the Linux kernel.
>> Example: hdb=ide-scsi. Such a setting should be added
>> to lilo.conf
>
>Usually such configuration data can be put on the loadlin
>line as a paremeter. It's worth a try.

Yes, your guess was obviously right. This seems to be an
undocumented feature of loadlin. May be it is worth to include
it to baslinux-faq. Besides that, I discovered that the same
effect can be achieved by adding a parameter 'ignore=hdb'
to the command 'insmod ide-cd'.

With the correct order of modules and loadlin.exe option the IDE
drive is recognized and cdrecord can access it through SCSI drivers.

I tested it successfully with bare.i kernel and even with the kernel
of the BL-2.10 RAM disk version. It might theoretically be possible
to use an add-on for the RAM disk version, provided that a second
4MB RAM disk is available. Or rather to prepare a stripped-down
installation of CD burning utilities with device names, modules,
binaries from cdutils.tgz and the CD-Write HOWTO? Will this be
interesting for anybody?

Anyway, here is my suggestion for the BL 2 FAQ:

Q: Can I burn CDs with under BaslicLinux 2.x?

A: Install ap1/cdutils.tgz from Slackware 7.1. If your CD-RW drive
is connected to IDE (which is true for many newer devices), you need
to emulate it through SCSI, as the record utility can access the
burner only through SCSI connection.

1. Create the devices in /dev:

cd /dev/
umask -S u=rwx,g=rwx,o-rwx
[ -f loop0 ] \
|| ./MAKEDEV loop \
|| for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do mknod loop$i b 7 $i; done
[ -f sg0 -o -f sga ] \
|| ./MAKEDEV sg \
|| for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do mknod sg$i c 21 $i; done

# I have not tested this script from pure BL 2.10

2. Get the necessary SCSI drivers from a13/scsimods.tgz and load them
in precisely this order:

insmod ide-cd ignore=hdc # replace hdc with the correct name
# of the CD-RW device
insmod scsi_mod
insmod sg
insmod sr_mod
insmod loop
insmod ide-scsi

You may want to add these lines to your startup-scripts.

3. If you boot from DOS using loadlin.exe add a parameter
'hdc=ide-scsi' to the command line (replace hdc with the name of
the IDE drive that needs to be emulated), e.g.:

loadlin.exe zimage kbd-reset root=/dev/hda2 ro hdc=ide-scsi

Read the manual pages for mkeisofs and cdrecord and the
Linux CD-Writing HOWTO.

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov