baslinux - Re: [BL] S3 ViRGE/VX 86C988 problems

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] S3 ViRGE/VX 86C988 problems
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:32:02 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> I recently swapped an s3Trio 64v+ video card out of a
> BL xterminal machine I'd set up for an S3 ViRGE/VX 86C988.
> I'm pretty much unable to get it working.

Same here. One of my cheap secondhand machines had a ViRGE
card and I spent weeks trying to get it to work with BL2.
Perhaps it's the 2.2.16 kernel or perhaps it's some option
in XF86Config that needs to be set. But, in the end, I gave
up and dumped the ViRGE.

> The s3Trio card was working fine.

Yeah, the Trio is great. It's my favorite card. I've got
a couple of those and they never have problems.

> I installed the s3v server, since I came across info somewhere
> that this was needed (though it seems the card can use the svga
> server as well) for the S3 ViRGE/VX 86C988.

I tried both.

> The problem is that, the only way I can get a valid display is
> by using 640x400 resolution.

My problem was different. I could get a 640x480 display; but when
I exited X, the screen was garbage. The only way to get a useable
display was to reboot the system.

> It's all a bit wierd.

Yeah, it was really weird for me too. I spent a lot of time
searching for info and asking questions. Dead end.

> I've spent a few hrs on this already though, and seem to be
> getting nowhere. Thus, I resort to asking advice. Can someone
> offer some help on this problem?

The only advice I have is: try that card with Knoppix or other
auto-configuring version of Linux. If it works there, then try
to use that method. Perhaps it's the kernel, perhaps it's the
framebuffer server, perhaps it's XFree version 4.