baslinux - [BL] S3 ViRGE/VX 86C988 problems

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] S3 ViRGE/VX 86C988 problems
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:22:40 -0600 (CST)

I recently swapped an s3Trio 64v+ video card out of a BL xterminal machine
I'd set up for an S3 ViRGE/VX 86C988. I'm pretty much unable to get it
working. The s3Trio card was working fine. I installed the s3v server,
since I came across info somewhere that this was needed (though it seems
the card can use the svga server as well) for the S3 ViRGE/VX 86C988.
The problem is that, the only way I can get a valid display is by using
640x400 resolution. Previously, I was getting 640x480. At any other
resolution I get the TransocketUNIX error. To set up an XF86Config file
(using XF86Setup), I'm pretty much just using values that were in the old
XF86Config file (refresh rates, mouse - that sort of thing). One strange
thing is that, when I try to set the keyboard, I get a segmentation fault
(doubt this is related to the display problems, though). It's all a bit
wierd. I kind of think that, after working pretty much exclusively with
Linux for a couple of years, I should be able to get a display - of course
with a bit of work. I've spent a few hrs on this already though, and seem
to be getting nowhere. Thus, I resort to asking advice. Can someone
offer some help on this problem?

Thanks, James

PS I'm also still stuck with the df output problem on that other, non-BL
install. Maybe I'll come back to that later.