baslinux - [BL] xvidtune

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] xvidtune
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:49:18 -0800

Well, thanx guys. Can pay off sometimes reading about someone else's
trouble.
I did 'find' on this Corel (debian 2.2) and found it, copyied it to the
desktop, and when clicked, it popped up an old ASCII box char menu. In a
gui window. Not exactly CLI, it lets you use a mouse on an ascii box. A
no brainer to figure out.

Kewl. It let me tweak a number, test the result, and spend 5 minutes
getting this screen to line up with the one I boot from the dos drive,
and hence BL.

I dunno why most of the Linux text mode tools are not setup this way.
xf86config hasta be restarted from scratch if you screw up any of the
settings. xvidtune, and *all* of the dos tools I use regularly, know how
intuitive it is to run an ansi menu with a mouse, and commonly let you
try out settings. This would be particularly useful if xvid and
xf86config were combined in a single color ansi menu such as seen in MC,
which would let you test the gui settings... but then return to the text
mode screen where those settings would not screw up the video so much
that you had to go back and reboot the damn computer.

BTW: what does xvidtune do to a flat panel?