baslinux - Re: [BL] where df reads from

  • From: "James Miller (office)" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] where df reads from
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:46:41 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller (office) wrote:
> >
> > I recall a discussion onlist not long ago about where the df
> > command reads its data from.
>
> Are you sure that was here? I vaguely remember the discussion,
> but I thought it was on linuxnewbie.

Yeah, I guess it could have been there rather than here.

> If df is wrong, then something is probably wrong with the mounting
> of that partition. It could be the mount command itself (eg. the
> busybox version of mount can cause problems) or a misidentified
> partition or a corrupted partition or a partition on the verge of
> hardware failure.

The drive/partition is automounted at boot because it's the root
partition. fstab has the right entry for the root partition (/dev/hda1),
but when I do df it reports the root partition as /dev/root. I'm almost
sure the problem is with the install-to-HD script that was used for this
distro: it's a live CD distro that comes with the option (in beta, as you
might guess) to install to a fixed disk. As I'm recalling, the root
partition in the ramdisk that's used by distros that run from floppy
(like BL) or CD is called /dev/root. It seems like there might be a
simple way to fix it if some script just got misedited like that. Doesn't
seem too wise or safe meantime to have the root partition showing up as
both /dev/root and /dev/hda1.

James