baslinux - Re: [BL] where df reads from

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] where df reads from
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:39:30 +1300

James Miller (office) wrote:

> I recall a discussion onlist not long ago about where the df
> command reads its data from.

Are you sure that was here? I vaguely remember the discussion,
but I thought it was on linuxnewbie.

> If I recall correctly, someone was getting an erroneous /dev
> report (the /dev/xxx df was reporting on was not the correct one).
> I'm experiencing such a problem now (unfortunately, on a non-BL
> system) and am wondering how it might be fixed.

If df is wrong, then something is probably wrong with the mounting
of that partition. It could be the mount command itself (eg. the
busybox version of mount can cause problems) or a misidentified
partition or a corrupted partition or a partition on the verge of
hardware failure.