baslinux - Re: [BL] Symbolic links & LAN questions

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Symbolic links & LAN questions
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:02:25 +1300

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> ---------------------
> # hosts.allow
> #
> # It used to be:
> # ALL: 192.168.1.2
> # Changed to
>
> rpc.mountd : 192.168.1. : allow
> rpc.mountd : ALL : deny
> ---------------------

Does that actually work? I was under the impression that
rpc.portmap used /etc/hosts.allow for permission.

The way I would set the host access files:
---------------
# /etc/hosts.allow
#
ALL: 192.168.1.
---------------

-----------------
# /etc/hosts.deny
#
ALL: ALL
-----------------

> What's the recommended way of "un-server-ing" the computer if
> I want it not to be accessible for a while from the other one?

The following will terminate the three daemons that run NFS:
------------------------
kill `pidof rpc.nfsd`
kill `pidof rpc.mountd`
kill `pidof rpc.portmap`
------------------------
Killing any one of them will probaby stop NFS, but I like to be tidy.

You could write a simple script to do NFS start/stop:
case $1 in
kill)
for i in rpc.portmap rpc.mountd rpc.nfsd
do kill `pidof $i`
echo "kill $i"
done
;;
"")
rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd
esac

I've named that script nfs. So, to start NFS, I do:
---
nfs
---
And to stop nfs, I do:
--------
nfs kill
--------

> There's something about "sending it the HUP signal".
> What's that? "SIGHUP" was also mentioned.

You can send various signals to a process using the kill command.
Signal 1 is SIGHUP. So, to send SIGHUP, you can do:
kill -1 processnumber -OR- kill -1 `pidof processname`

To see the various signals that can be sent, do:
-------
kill -l
-------