baslinux - Re: [BL] Symbolic links & LAN questions

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Symbolic links & LAN questions
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:27:34 -0500

Please excuse this much-delayed reply:

On 1 Nov 2003 at 23:07, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

[Sheldon]
> > I made a testfile in the /root directory, and when I said
> > ls -aln /root/testfile, the result was:
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 10 Oct 31 18:20 /root/testfile
> >
> > And I copied /root/testfile to /tmp/,

[Steven]
> I assume that put testfile in the /tmp directory on /dev/hda5

Yep.

> > I did the commands to let FIC be a server to computer "ASUS".
> > When I said ls -aln /fic/root/testfile on ASUS, the result:
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 10 Oct 31 18:20 /fic/root/testfile
> >
> > But when, on ASUS, I said ls -aln /fic/tmp/testfile
> > the answer was
> > ls: /fic/tmp/testfile: No such file or directory.

[Steven]
> Try it without relying on the symbolic link:
> On ASUS: ls -aln /fic/hd/lin3/tmp/testfile

Yes, that worked.

> NFS servers do not necessarily provide full access to the filesystem.
> There are several parameters in /etc/exports that affect the access.
> For details, see:
> -----------
> man exports
> -----------

In the interim, I had changed the symlink: instead of the link "tmp"
being " /hd/tmp ", I made it " hd/tmp ".
Then I could access FIC's /hd/tmp from both FIC and from ASUS via the link.

However, after reading the exports manual, I did change /etc/exports to:
--------------------
# See exports(5) for a description.
# This file contains a list of all directories exported to other computers.
# It is used by rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd.

/ 192.168.1.2(rw,no_root_squash,link_relative)

I don't know whether no_root_squash is of any use, but link_relative
seems to have allowed ASUS to access things on FIC via symbolic links to
/hd/tmp and /hd/lin/usr

Also, though again I don't know what use it is, I changed
/etc/hosts.allow (from reading the mountd manual:

# hosts.allow This file describes names of the hosts which are allowed to
# use the local INET services, as decided by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
# Version: @(#)/etc/hosts.allow 1.00 05/28/93