baslinux - Re: [BL] ISDN for BL2.x?

  • From: Stefan Güls <sguels AT gmx.net>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ISDN for BL2.x?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:55:22 +0200

Hi, all!

>> I wrote:

>> But for my better understanding: Why did the modem quit functioning?
>> Although it's an internal one, it was adressed by /dev/ttys1 (Com2).
>> Why does this interact with an ISA-Card being added...???

>Your ISDN card is ISA? I assumed it was PCI. Perhaps the
>two ISA cards are trying to use the same IRQ?

Observing the situation in win98, the (so-called) extended Modem-Port
went from IRQ 3 to 7, so I believe the Linux-Kernel gets confused at
boot-time
finding an uninitialized piece of com-hardware (the ISDN-Card) first....
whatever...

>Another possibility is that your COM2 port is still active
>and is conflicting with the internal modem using the same port.

>Another possibility is that when you opened the case to insert
>the ISDN card you accidently unseated the modem card. Or, if
>you removed the telephone line when you opened the case, you
>might have put it in the wrong port when you re-inserted it.

As I mentioned: In Windoze everything works just fine, and certainly
the STUPID stuff is always first on my checklist....

For diagnosis I booted a Knoppix-CD (with a 2.4.20 kernel, and famed for
its
hardware recognition abilities) and the situation is the same, modem is
dead..
But with the Redhat ISDN-Configuration utility supplied with Knoppix I
managed
to get the ISDN working, so at least I got a 'proof of concept'. I guess
it'll take
me another 2-3 days of reading to get the ISDN in stuff up in BL, but I'm at
it...

BTW: Why do you think the Standard BL (Zimage)-Kernel won't work?
Insmod the isdn- and hisax modules ain't not enough?

Greets,
Stefan