baslinux - Re: [BL] X applications for BL2

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X applications for BL2
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:44:37 -0400 (EDT)

I added mem=16M just before ro (you don't want to put it just after
loadlin or it won't boot) and got mem total 14176. With Xmono, ratpoison,
one xterm, Opera (which still took only 30 sec or less to load) and a
second virtual terminal open (to run free) I have 416 free.
Swap 0. Why do I have 2M less than 16M memory? (I get 30M instead of 32M
normally). Is the 2M what the kernel is using?

I have not tried Opera online yet. It is likely to do a lot of swapping
to the swap partition especially if run with graphics on.

Toggling to full-screen mode with F11 (or in my case the number pad -) did
not reduce memory usage at all.