baslinux - Re: [BL] X applications for BL2

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X applications for BL2
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:06:41 +0000

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> > I've just about given up trying to find a good browser
> > for 486s. dillo, links2 and browseX are useable on a
> > 486,
>
> What is wrong with Opera 6.03?

Opera was sluggish on my 486-66 (16mb RAM). The top third
of the screen was wasted because of that large banner. And,
worst of all, the animated advertisements weighed down the
CPU significantly. For one ad in particular, the icewm CPU
meter ran at over 50% just to keep the ad going. That's
far too big a burden for a 486. However, if a 486 user wants
to pay Opera to remove those ads, then yes Opera might be OK
on a 486 (but it would be better to have more than 16mb RAM).

dillo, links2 and browseX were less problematical on my 486
(although not as fully-featured as Opera). And browseX has
the advantage of a built-in mail client.