baslinux - Re: [BL] X applications for BL2

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X applications for BL2
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 18:42:09 +0000

James Miller wrote:

> Though I'm perfectly happy with Pine, I'd be willing
> to "test drive" Sylpheed on my 486 DX2 66 with 20MB RAM

That would be great.

> I'd be willing to install Mozilla (argh!) there,

Not Mozilla. Way too heavy for a 486. Even my P166
is too sluggish for Mozilla.

> as well as Phoenix 5 and Skipstone,

Even those will be too much for a 486. They run pretty
well on my P166, but I've got 64mb RAM, which probably
helps a lot.

I've just about given up trying to find a good browser
for 486s. dillo, links2 and browseX are useable on a
486, but I don't consider any of them superior to
Netscape 3.04 (on BL1). I'm beginning to think that
the best option for a 486 user who wants a graphical
browser is to install BL1 (instead of BL2).

> Let me know if I can assist in this and I'll get on
> it tomorrow evening.

Your input would be valuable, particularly regarding
sylpheed. It runs so well on my P166 that I suspect
it will work OK on a 486. A good graphical mail client
for 486s will reduce some of the advantage that Netscape
3.04 has over links2 and dillo (although dillo still has
some way to go before it really rates as a browser).