baslinux - [BL] X applications for BL2

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] X applications for BL2
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 13:58:22 +0000

At the moment I am using Phoenix 0.5 with BL2. I tried 0.6
but it has been bloated by feature-creep and is slower than
0.5. I've had some success running Skipstone on Phoenix.
As some of you probably know, Skipstone is not a complete
browser, it is just a slim front-end that uses parts of
Mozilla. Skipstone can't run without a copy of Mozilla.
It occurred to me that Phoenix has a structure very similar
to Mozilla, so (just for fun) I pointed Skipstone at the
Phoenix files (MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/bin/phoenix)
and "lo and behold" it worked. Skipstone seems to be faster
on Phoenix (but I haven't been able to do a proper test on
this computer because it doesn't have enough HD space for
the full Mozilla).

I've also had some success with sylpheed on BL2. There's
a package available for it at the DeliLinux site.
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/delilinux/deli/xap/sylpheed.tgz
It's a Slackware-type package, so it installs easily with
installpkg (and uninstalls just as easily). I think the
only additional libraries required are in the gtkglib.tgz
package (in /slakware/gtk1). I had already installed that
package (and several others) on this computer so sylpheed
ran first time, with no dependency problems.

sylpheed is an X email client. It makes a good companion
for Opera, Phoenix, links2 or any other browser that doesn't
have a built-in POP/SMTP client. sylpheed is very quick on
my P166, but that is the slowest machine I have available at
the moment (I've just thrown away one 486 and the other is
in pieces). I'm quite impressed by sylpheed (but I've only
been using it a couple of hours). I'd be interested to hear
what other BL2 users think, particularly those running it on
486s or low-end Pentiums.