b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Different binyan, same meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Different binyan, same meaning?
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 07:04:53 +0200

In Ecc 9:12 we have a niph'al participle concerning fishes caught in the
net and we have a qal passive participle concerning birds caught in the
trap.
Namely we have "(she)neeHazym" and "(ha)aHuzot" respectively.

What might the author intend to tell the reader by using these two
different binyanim in two facts that are quite similar, quite parallel:
fishes are caught in a net... birds are caught in a trap? In both
someone put the net and the trap in action... and its resulting issue is
the same: the fish is caught and the bird is caught...

Is there in this verse a real different nuance of meaning between the two
binyanim?
Had Qohelet inverted the binyanim and written "(ha)aHuzym" for fishes and
"(she)neeHazot" for birds, would the sense of the verse have been the same
as that of the current text we find and read in our Hebrew bibles?

Is there a true difference in the meaning of the two sentences (the current
one and the imagined one)?
--
Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)