b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Different binyan, same meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Different binyan, same meaning?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:53:05 -0400

1. You are right that in 1:17 Ruth is using Niph'al in talking about herself in the future.

2. I would be careful about generalities. It is safer to talk about specific examples and instances. Also, the terminology is not very clear to me.
What things mean, and what is "the same", may depend on our own perception in imagining the flow of events.

In Jer. 23:9, for example, we have נשבר לבי בקרבי NI-$BAR LIBI BQIRBIY, translated as 'My heart is broken within me'. It seems to me that, if so, then, here NI-$BAR = $ABUR, but, I am not discounting the possibility of understanding NI-$BAR as referring to a moment in the past, at which the heart of the prophet passed from the state "whole" to the state "broken".

3. more examples would be very helpful in seeng the usages of this binyan.

Isaac Fried, Boston University