b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Different binyan, same meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Different binyan, same meaning?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 19:52:23 -0700 (PDT)

If I understand Isaac correctly, I agree:

Ne?eHaZeem  נאחזים is best translated as "those that are being caught"
because fish caught in the net are caught moments before the net is pulled in.

?aHuZot  אחוזות is best translated as "those caught" for a period of time, as
is true when one catches birds in traps.

I do not think this is just poetic usage but rather the refined usage of a
native speaker of the language that is too often lost on us.

David Kolinsky
Monterey CA