b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Poetry

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Poetry
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:11:55 +0200

James is correct, to wit:
Robert H has to add an AD-HOC rule in order to bring his theory in line with
the data. Occam is very unhappy and wants to shave Robert.
(He justifies this on the grounds that TG/GB/Minimal grammar accepts such an
adhoc rule for German, where again it is unnecessary, as Simon Dik showed 30
years ago. And why would anyone want to import an adhoc rule from German to
BH?)
Plus Robert's S-V finite verbal clauses are no longer pragmatically marked
although he regularly adds pragmatics when he is forced to/wants to. VSO is
the stronger theory in this case in that it sends a pragmatic signal to the
user at every SV clause and that will trully make for a sensitive reader.

My advice to anyone learning BH is to take a theory out for a test drive.
See what you start to produce with it and start comparing differences with
attested text. Robert's theories end up counter-intuitive to the user and
unnecessary. That a theory can be made to cover the data by adding adhoc
rules is irrelevant to the reality of the situation. Any theory can cover
the data if allowed enough rules.

RB