b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew Poetry

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Poetry
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 13:54:37 -0700

Dear List,

Below is an article by B. Elan Dresher,
http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~dresher/publications.html
"Between music and speech: The relationship between Gregorian and Hebrew
Chant, Sarah Cummins, Bridget Jankowski and Patricia Shaw, eds., All the
Things You Are: A Festschrift in Honour of Jack Chambers. Toronto Working
Papers in Linguistics 27, Special Issue, 43-58. Abstract (html)
Download pdf (631 KB)

It is 16 pages. It begins with an Introduction (page 1), then he gives with a
little music lesson dealing with Singing, Chant, Intonation in ordinary
speech (pp. 2-6). On page 6 Dresher begins the introduction material on
Hebrew Chant with "Recitation formulas: psalm tones;" and continues until the
end with the fundamentals between Gregorian and Hebrew Chant styles both in
similarities and differences.

Now, my statement and then the list can go at it.

It seems to me that in discussion of grammar and syntax of BH, we have
written about the narrative, but not the poetical side of BH. I find that
this is an interesting omission since roughly half of the Tanakh is poetry.
Look at the Writings and the Latter Prophets which are continuously using
poetic devises in order get the message out. I would like to see if any of us
on the list would be able to say in Dresher is correct on what he is saying
in his article about the similarities and differences between Gregorian and
Hebrew Chant. I would also go a little further and say that the Protestant
Reformation especially the English Reformation contributed greatly to the
metrical reading, singing and chanting of the Psalms; also some other
passages.

If possible, give a link to any sources otherwise note the complete source
information.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III