b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Poetry

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Poetry
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:32:41 -0700

Dear Dave,

In one sense I would agree with you, but in another sense I would disagree.
That
sense that I disagree with is that much of what can be learned from poetry
would
help in defining the narrative use much better. Is it not true that poetry is
more free-wheeling in its use of grammar and syntax? At least, that is what
appears to be the case. My only problem with this is that most scholars do not
understand poetry enough to understand that poetry has its own rules or
conventions that must be adhered to. In modern poetry, at least since free
verse
became to be considered poetry, ca. 19th Century CE, this has become more of a
problem. So, I would say that reasons for neglect of Hebrew poetry is more due
to the lack of knowledge of the genre than any thing else.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III