b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Poetry

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Poetry
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:24:30 -0700

Dear Karl,

I think that much of Hebrew studies in grammar and syntax is over the
narrative sections. So much of Hebrew poetry will reflect older conventions,
i.e., Exodus 15 (your example), Deuteronomy 32:1-43 (Song of Moses) or Judges
5 (Song of Deborah). This does not include Proverbs, Ecclesiastes or Song of
Solomon.

Regarding the idea that Genesis 1 is poetry. This view actually is a way to
circumvent the obvious theological and cosmological implications of God as
creator if the chapter is viewed as narrative. Furthermore, the poetic
passages found promoting God as Creator, and none else, found in Isaiah and
the use of )ani, )anoki, etc. corresponding with the LXX use of EGW EIMI is
astounding.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III