b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 20:27:57 -0600

Hello Isaac:

Thanks for your explanatory comments.

So, I see in exodus 15:1, the pp + verb could, ( but in the absence of need
or want ), does not in this instance, designate future tense. Rather it
evokes past tense in this particular case.

It seems that we have two tools in the tool chest for directing tense
forward or backward. And only context, and actual usage of the verb, will
determine what tense we see.

I don't know the "sleeper properties" to which you refer?

regards,

fred burlingame