b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:52:30 -0600

that is my understanding .... of the mainstream view ....

vav prefixed to a pronomial prefixed verb .... functions as

a. conjunction; and

b. tense converter.

but i am not unmindful of your teaching .... to wit:

ו (vav) = ב (bet), whose literal meaning = thicken; and whose abstract
meaning = to come into being; and which latter letter births in turn the
verb בוא (boh or voh).

perhaps the solution resides in the eternal perspective, rather than the
space/time perspective of our universe. .... in other words, the hebrew
language sees only the present .... or "avraham acts again and takes a
woman" ....; no past; no future, only present; and pronomial suffixed verbs
= pronomial prefixed verbs .... much as noun synonyms ... :)

regards,

fred burlingame