b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 01:09:31 -0500

Appears to me that we are in agreement without the need for "conversion". PP = personal pronoun.
1. root+PP indicates past action, as in BA-TA = BA-ATAH.
2. PP+root indicates future action as in TA-BO. Also PP+root+PP, as in TA-BO-YI.
3. VA+PP+root indicates past action, as in VA-TA-BO. Also VA+PP+root +PP, as in VA-TA-BO-YI.
4. It is really late at night, but can we agree that VA means something like 'and it came to pass that'?
5. It is not clear to me at the moment what is the role of the L in VA-YI-LAKAX, 'he was taken', as compared with VA-YI-KAX, 'he took'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University