b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:44:13 EDT

James Spinti:

Thank you for your honest response. But to my mind, the lack of specifics
in your response shows that most people have not seriously considered those
3 non-Semitic names in assessing whether or not chapter 14 of Genesis is
accurate history in a Late Bronze Age context.

As to researching these 3 names, let me share with you part of what I have
found so far on )LSR as Arioch’s kingly title. My analysis will give
Eisenbrauns a plug, which is a good thing. But the darker side of my
analysis is
that it seems very suspicious to me that no mainstream scholar has ever, to
the best of my knowledge, asked if )LSR may be a Hittite word. If that
question were asked, then as shown below, that question would go a very long
way
toward demonstrating the pinpoint historical accuracy of chapter 14 of
Genesis in the secular historical context of the Great Syrian War during the
mid-14th century BCE. What bothers me is that university scholars so often
carefully refrain from even a-s-k-i-n-g the key questions about chapter 14
of
Genesis.

I’ll start with noting that today’s scholars have given up on the old view
that ’LSR might be Larsa: “Earlier scholars identified Arioch’s kingdom
of Ellasar with the Babylonian town of Larsa, but phonetically that is
impossible.” Victor P. Hamilton, The Book of Genesis Chapters 1-17 (1990),
William B. Eerdman’s Publishing Company, Grand Rapids, Michigan, at p. 400.
My
own view Is that Elassar is primarily a Hittite reference to the Hittite
homeland in eastern Anatolia.

The geographical locale of Elassar is often considered an enigma. But
consider the perceptive comments of Gordon Wenham, who ties Elassar to
eastern
Anatolia:

“The identity of Ellasar is uncertain. …A better suggestion [than various
other possibilities] (P.R. Berger, WO 13 {1982} 50-78) identifies Ellasar
with eastern Asia Minor on the basis of etymology, versional support, and
intrinsic probability. Ellasar could be related to )LSRYN ‘hazelnuts’, for
which Pontus, on the southern coast of the Black Sea, was famous. The
Vulgate
and Symmachus translate it ‘Pontus’ [in northeastern Anatolia], while
the Genesis Apocryphon says ‘Cappadocia’ [south-central eastern Anatolia].”
Gordon J. Wenham, “Biblical Commentary: Genesis 1-15” (1987), Thomas
Nelson, Nashville, Tennessee
at p. 308.

But rather than the eastern Anatolian connection being a shortened,
unattested version of a Hebrew word (that is not found in the Bible) for
“hazelnuts
”, a more convincing explanation is the Hittite word elassar. The exact
word, elassar, is attested in Hittite, perhaps meaning “oracle place”, that
is, a place in eastern Anatolia where a Hittite would go to consult an oracle
regarding omens, or perhaps a place in eastern Anatolia associated with “
omens”:

“An occasional alternate reading of IZKIM is H. ilessar, ilissar, ilassar,
elassar ‘sign’ [or ‘omen’], of unknown origin (P 357-58, T 355).
ariyasessar ‘oracle’, perhaps ariya- + asessar ‘place, site’, arises from
ariya-,
arai- ‘consult an oracle’ (generally accomplished by the observation of
omina; cf. Gurney, The Hittites 156-60)….” David Michael Weeks, “Hittite
Vocabulary: An Anatolian Appendix to Buck’s Dictionary of Selected Synonyms
in
the Principal Indo-European Languages”, dissertation at the University of
California Los Angeles (1985), at p. 243. [James Spinti, I agree that
dissertations on the Internet are great!]

In comparing ’LSR in early Biblical Hebrew to the Hittite word elassar,
many scholars see the Hittite s (with a breve on top: š [my computer often
does
not handle diacritical marks well]) as likely having the same sound as a
samekh/S in early Biblical Hebrew, which would mean that ’LSR and the Hittite
word elassar may be virtual homonyms. I asked the leading Hittite
philologist in the world whether the Hittite word elassar would be expected
to be
)LSR in old Biblical Hebrew. While insisting on not being quoted or even
named, he did not disagree, even implicitly agreeing, but for the record he
only
wants the following published work cited: the discussion of the Hittite
sibilant at paragraph 1.93 on page 38 of Harry A. Hoffner, Jr. and H. Craig
Melchert, “A Grammar of the Hittite Language” (2008), Languages of the
Ancient
Near East, 1, Winona Lake, Indiana, Eisenbrauns. [James Spinti, I keep
running into Eisenbrauns publications in researching these matters. It seems
owe you some thanks.] Moreover, although the grammatical function in
Hittite differs, the sound of the –ssar at the end of elassar is the same as
the
sound of certain Hittite geographical place names in eastern Anatolia, in
particular Kuššara, which is the Hittite name of the oldest known Hittite
site (per Trevor Bryce, “The Kingdom of the Hittites” (1998), Clarendon
Paperbacks, Oxford University Press, at pp. 37-38). Thus not only is elassar
bona fide Hittite word, but to a contemporary audience (who knew little or no
Hittite), it also would have sounded like a Hittite geographical place name.

As to how a Hittite word might make it into the Hebrew Bible, consider that
there are two Amarna Letters in Hittite (though not from the Hittites, and
written to Amenhotep III), and the second one even explicitly states: “The
tablets that are brought here always write in Hittite!” Amarna Letter EA
32: 24-25. So if the early Hebrew author of the “four kings against five”
was temporarily a guestworker at Amarna in Year 15 of Akhenaten’s reign in
the
mid-14th century BCE, he could have asked the Hittite translator there for
a Hittite word to use to reference eastern Anatolia. To the Hebrew author,
this had to be sure to “sound” like a Hittite word, as most of the audience
would certainly not know the actual meaning of the word, but if it sounded
Hittite, it would do the job. Note that elassar sounds like a Hittite word,
with the ending even making it sound like a Hittite geographical place
name. Amarna Letter 31: 1-6 may have the Hittite word upessar (per Wm.
Moran’s
footnote 3 at p. 102), whose last two syllables are likely the same as
elassar.

Elassar and ilessar (elaššar and ileššar) may both be the same word, and
they may both mean “omen, sign”. In fact, elassar may even mean “place of
omens” or “place to consult an oracle regarding omens” in Hittite, and as
such suggest a locale in eastern Anatolia. On balance, the existence of the
Hittite word elaššar, which may refer to an “omen” or “place of omens” or
“place to consult an oracle regarding omens” in eastern Anatolia, and the
fact that the ending of such word seems consistent with the word sounding
(to a non-Hittite audience) like a Hittite geographical place name in eastern
Anatolia, are further support for the emerging scholarly view (based in part
on the Septuagint and the Genesis Apocryphon) that there may well be a
connection between Biblical Elassar and the Hittites’ homeland in eastern
Anatolia.

But the Hurrians were not that far north, so why would a ruler bearing the
Hurrian princeling name of “Arioch” be associated in chapter 14 of Genesis
with the heartland of the Hittites? The answer, in my controversial view,
is that Elassar is referencing where historical Hurrian princeling Etakkama
was re-educated by the Hittites in eastern Anatolia, before returning to
Qadesh on the Orontes as a Hittite partisan in Year 13 and Year 14.

“Suppiluliuma was quick to retaliate [against Qadesh on the Orontes,
perhaps in Year 11]. The Kadesh force was defeated, and its king and leading
citizens, along with the king’s son Aitakkama [Etakkama], were led off in
captivity. …Suppiluliuma [who I view as being Biblical “Tidal”, and who
rescued
Ugarit’s King Niqmaddu, who I view as being Biblical “Chedorlaomer”]
subsequently [likely shortly before Year 14] allowed Aitakkama to return to
Kadesh, where he occupied his father’s throne, and probably formalized his
status
as a Hittite vassal…. Aitakkama [who I view as being Biblical “Arioch”]
used his Hittite backing…to establish regional alliances with other rulers,
notably Aziru [who I view as being Biblical “Amrapel”], king of Amurru….”
Bryce, at p. 176.

Etakkama was virtually the only Hurrian princeling in history who was
re-educated in the Hittite heartland before becoming a princeling ruler in
greater Canaan. If Biblical “Elassar” (and/or the name “Arioch”) is a
reference
to the ancient Hittite heartland in eastern Anatolia, which on various
grounds seems quite likely, then the Hebrew nickname “Arioch, king of
Elassar”
would uniquely fit historical Etakkama, and would not fit anyone else.

James Spinti, I would greatly appreciate any substantive comments that you
or anyone else may have on my analysis of )LSR. In my opinion, one key to
establishing the pinpoint historical accuracy of the “four kings against five”
at Genesis 14: 1-11, in the historical context of the Great Syrian War in
the mid-14th century BCE, is to be willing to do what university scholars
seem unwilling to do: a-s-k if )LSR at Genesis 14: 1, 9 may be a Hittite
word.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois