b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sodom's Historical Sin: Etymology and Geography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sodom's Historical Sin: Etymology and Geography
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 02:26:19 +0200

These 5 city names are nicknames, not formal, historical names. These
nicknames indicate that all 5 cities were located in or near one of the two
world-famous Valleys of Fields in greater Canaan

Jim, that's quite a big leap to make. The whole point of the story is that
they were destroyed beyond recognition. You also seem to be ignoring the
greater context of when Abraham and Lot parted company.

So Lot raised his eyes and saw the whole District of the Jordan, that all of
it was a well-watered region before Jehovah brought Sod´om and Go·mor´rah to
ruin, like the garden of Jehovah, like the land of Egypt as far as
Zo´ar. (Genesis
13:10)

Notice how it says 'it was a well-watered region before Yhwh brought Sodom
and Gomorrah to ruin'. Kind of indicates a massive change in the appearance
of the landscape.

If you are going to reply. Please don't make it one of your usual five page
jobs that don't actually address the issue but launch straight into your
blog style method of writing. I'll skim the reply and if I don't see you
addressing the point raised won't be reading it in detail.

James Christian